Most companies by today have given a “move to the cloud” a thought and many have already started using Cloud Services or may be planning to do so in the near future.
Microsoft has provided different licensing and pricing options for customers to facilitate a move to O365. We would like to address the main principles available to Microsoft Enterprise Agreement customers and highlight some particularities of each of them.
The table below outlines the available principles. The actual product set in an expiring or ongoing contract will define exactly what transitions (using the from SA SKU’s) may be available to a customer. Making the right decision is not a simple tasks. Cloud Optics would be happy to support customers with modelling and advising on the different options based on customer’s specific EA configuration and requirements.
- Starting with Full Subscription licenses
- “transition” and benefit from a lower price due to the previous investment in perpetual licenses.
- Purchase of an Add-on to existing licenses
Good to know
What about the Bridge CALs? –
Bridge CALs may be required for certain transitions. This is depending on Customer’s on-premise desktop configuration as well as the Services the customer is intending to move to.
What about the perpetual rights?
- When moving to the cloud using the “From SA product” customer owns the perpetual rights to the last version current at the time the transition to the Cloud happened – a transition back to on-premise licenses is possible at a later stage
- “add-on” “for SA” – in this case customer continues to pay for the perpetual licenses and will retain perpetual rights to the current version
Eligibility for the “for SA” Subscription
The “for SA” or “add-on” product eligibility depends on the customers EA configuration – on a high level here are the qualifying Licenses and what “add-on” can be purchased on top
The variety of choices bring a certain complexity. The licensing solution is not at the start of a customer’s journey to the cloud but should accommodate your deployment plans. It is important to understand how the desired outcome can be achieved in the most cost-effective way. Cloud Optics can advise and help your organisation mapping out scenarios that meet your short and long-term cloud strategy. Please do not hesitate to contact me on email@example.com